is an award winning Improvisation pianist who currently lives in Sweden.
Naoko is recognised for her fearless and intuitive improvisation style and her heart felt playing has become her personal trademark. Her music reaches from the very depths of calm poetic beauty to intense explosive chaos, where everything comes together as one powerful expression.
Currently she is performing as an improvisation solo act as well as with groups such as Malin Wättring 4 and Thomas Markusson’s "Open”.
- Inner Planets (Footprint Records) is Naoko's first solo piano album .
It was recorded during two days in February 2019 at studio Epidemin in Gothenburg.
Released in 2020.
- Dancing Spirits is her 2nd solo piano album and consists of 7 free improvisations. It was recorded in August 2020 in Annedalskyrkan, a church in Gothenburg Sweden by Filip Leyman. The album will be released on the Swedish record label led by Anna von Hausswolff "Pomperipossa Records"
26 March 2021.
Prior to commencing her solo act, Naoko spent her time performing and touring the world with a piano trio under her own name - Naoko Sakata Trio - for almost a decade.
Naoko Sakata Trio performed at
jazz clubs and festivals such as -12 Points festival Stavanger, Norway -Stockholm Jazz festival,Sweden -Tampere Jazz festival, Finland -Trondheim Jazz festival, Norway
-Jazz Ahead Bremen, Germany -Bohemia Jazz fest, Czech Republic
-Jazz Au Chellah, Morocco -Technopolis Jazz festival,Greece
The group also released 3 CDs including:
- Kaleidoscope (Atelier Sawano 2010)
- Flower clouds (Atelier Sawano 2013)
- Dreaming tree ( Footprint records 2016).
Naoko is also greatly recognised among her peers in Sweden and has received multiple prestigious awards for her music such as the Swedish national radio jazz prize and Alice Babs jazz award.
2009 Young Nordic jazz comets "Soloist prize"
2011 Swedish national radio "Jazz cat prize newcomer of the year "
2011 Carl Larsson stipendium
2013 Alice Babs jazz award
2016 Sten A Olsson culture award
2017 Bengt Säve-Söderbergh jazz award